Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced a complete nationwide lockdown for three weeks starting today to contain the coronavirus pandemic. In his second address to the nation within a week, Modi appealed to citizens not go outside of their homes. The PM also announced a ₹15,000 crore fund for testing, isolation beds, ventilators, and other necessary facilities, but stressed that social distancing was the only way to combat the disease.
Here’s is a list of essential services that will continue to work:
- Hospitals and related medical establishments
- Shops dealing in food, groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy and milk booths
- Banks, insurance offices and ATMs
- Print and electronic media
- Delivery of all essential goods including food, medicine, medical equipment through e-commerce
- Petrol pumps, LPG, petroleum and gas retail and storage outlets
- Electricity, water and sanitation
- Police, fire and emergency services, disaster management and prison
- Municipal staff required for essential services like sanitation, water supply, etc.
- Hotels and homestays accommodating tourists and people stranded due to the lockdown
- Telecom, internet services, broadcasting and cable services
- Capital and debt market services